Charles ‘accepted large cash donations’ from Qatari politician, report says

The Prince of Wales accepted large cash donations totaling three million euros from a former prime minister of Qatar, the Sunday Times reported.

The newspaper said the prince had personally accepted cash donations to his charity Prince of Wales’s Charitable Fund (PWCF) between 2011 and 2015 from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim, who was prime minister of Qatar between 2007 and 2013.

Clarence House said the donations were “passed on immediately” to one of the prince’s charities and that “proper governance” was carried out.

“The charitable donations received from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim were passed immediately to one of the prince’s charities which carried out proper governance and assured us that all correct processes were followed,” a statement said.

The Prince of Wales with the then Prime Minister of Qatar Sheikh Hamad Bin Jassim in Doha in 2013 (PA)

According to the Sunday Times, a donation of one million euros was delivered during a meeting at the prince’s residence, Clarence House.

PWCF was contacted for comment by the PA news agency, but its chairman, Sir Ian Cheshire, told the paper that “there was no governance failure”.

The charity, founded in 1979 with a mission to transform lives and build sustainable communities, awards grants to UK registered non-profit organizations to deliver projects in the UK, the Commonwealth and abroad.

Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis said he was confident the donations would go through “due process of law”.

Asked about the BBC’s Sunday Morning report, Lewis said: “This is not a government issue, but what I’ve seen is that the palace has been very clear, that all money goes through due process of law, the charities obviously go through due process of law.

“I am confident that I have done some business with charities, The Prince’s Trust, The Prince’s Foundation, around the palace in the past, that they will have gone through due process.”

The Prince of Wales attended the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Kigali last week.

The Prince of Wales attended the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Kigali last week (PA)

This comes as another of Charles’ charities, the Prince’s Foundation, is currently under investigation by the Metropolitan Police over an alleged money-for-honors scandal.

The prince, and his close friend Michael Fawcett, were formally reported to the Metropolitan Police last September when the honors money allegations first surfaced in newspaper reports.

Fawcett, who resigned as chief executive of The Prince’s Foundation, has been accused of promising to help a Saudi billionaire donor gain British citizenship and knighthood.

Clarence House previously said the prince was “unaware” of the alleged honors exchanges.

The Prince’s Foundation was created through the merger in 2018 of The Prince’s Foundation for Building Community, The Prince’s Regeneration Trust, The Great Steward of Scotland’s Dumfries House Trust and The Prince’s School of Traditional Arts.

Advocates sustainability and administers education and training programs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.