Eddie Howe warned that Financial Fair Play will continue to impact Newcastle’s transfer market ambitions for “several years”.
The manager is confident the club’s quest for English midfielder James Maddison remains on track despite a reluctance to heed Leicester’s £60m valuation to help stay within FFP restrictions.
Despite having spent more than £150m on players this year thanks to the support of the club’s Saudi owners, on the eve of a new campaign in which the Tynesiders must face a challenge to finish in the top six, Howe urged caution to fans expecting a plethora of new summer hires.
Newcastle opened the home campaign on Saturday for a newly promoted team from Nottingham Forest, who have outperformed them in the transfer market since the end of last season. Howe states that development will be by evolution rather than revolution, and he said, “I hope our transfer business says what I was trying to say at the end of last season was the truth.
“Financial Fair Play impacts us and will continue to impact us for many years to come. We don’t have the free rein, the free hand, that perhaps has been noticed in the media, that we can go and sign whoever we want and pay extortionate fees and salaries.
“We’re not in that position and I don’t think we will be for some time. We have to be creative and smart and try to make the right additions within the financial constraints that we have.”
Newcastle have signed Dutch defender Sven Botman, England goalkeeper Nick Pope, and made Aston Villa full-back Matt Targett permanent this summer with a joint outlay of around £60m.
So far, they haven’t been able to build up their strength in depth in attack, and on the pursuit of 25-year-old star Maddison, Howe added: “Nothing has progressed further. The situation remains the same. We are working hard, we are active in the market and we will wait and see if we can get players before the window closes.
“There’s no frustration directed at the club, it’s the circumstances around it. We lost some players because they wanted to go somewhere else. It’s an always moving thing, and I hope we can do what we need to do to make the squad as strong as possible.
“At this stage we may be one or two light players, but by no means low on strength. We are in a position where any player gets hurt and that stretches us, but we have players who can cover.”
Newcastle were last in the Premier League last November, shortly after Howe succeeded Steve Bruce, but an impressive run in the second half of the season saw them comfortably finish mid-table.
There is growing confidence among fans that the top four form displayed by Howe’s team during this period can be sustained for an entire season, and the 44-year-old is happy to deal with the rising expectations as he is aiming for titles in its first full season. responsible for the campaign.
After ruling out a loan transfer for teenage midfielder Elliot Anderson, Howe added: “We would love to win a trophy for everyone attached to the team, whether this season or later. I didn’t want to win a trophy, there would be something wrong. with me.
“I have to dream big on behalf of the club. I’m not saying we’re going to do it, but it’s my dream and we’re working hard to make that dream come true. The challenge is to maintain the form we showed in the second part of last season. good place now.”