Witness reports search for 11-year-old girl who died after disappearing from water park

(Andrew Matthews/PA) (PA Wire)

(Andrew Matthews/PA) (PA Wire)

A mother of two recounts a desperate search for an 11-year-old girl who died after disappearing at a water park in Windsor.

Liquid Leisure customers near Datchet were instructed to yell the girl’s name as they searched for her after she struggled on Saturday, the witness said.

Emergency services, including a helicopter, an ambulance and a search and rescue team, were called to the scene at around 3:55 pm.

The girl was found around 5:10 pm before being rushed to Wexham Park Hospital but died, Thames Valley Police said.

A mother of two, who declined to be named, said she initially hoped the girl would make it back to shore safely.

The 34-year-old, who lives on the outskirts of Reading and was at the park with her children, said: “At around 3.45pm, the lifeguards and the girl’s friends and family started running down the main walkways that run along the length of the river. lake screaming name.

“I later learned that they expected her to somehow make it back to shore and be either in shock or passed out.

“They were asking all of us to scream her name, describing her as shoulder-length adult with shoulder-length brown hair.

“There was one lady in particular who was her mother or someone close to her who was in a bathing suit and was visibly shaking and crying as she yelled for her.”

The witness said lifeguards and strong swimmers jumped into the water to look for the girl before emergency services arrived, but nothing could be done.

“We got back to the car, but it was jammed and emergency vehicles were blocking the exit,” she said.

As the situation unfolded, with each passing minute you could see the panic rising among the spectators.


“My car was next to another family and the mother in the other vehicle looked at me and we both started crying.

“By this time, she was missing 60 to 70 minutes and it was evident that the odds of her being well were not good.

“As the situation unfolded, with every passing minute you could see the panic growing among the spectators.”

The mother of two praised the efforts of the lifeguards and bystanders, but said the incident had left her “asleep”.

“Now, I feel very numb.

“The lifeguards were really amazing. I think there were probably around 30 to 40 people in the water – a mix of what appeared to be personal and public.”

This was an extremely traumatic and upsetting incident for everyone involved.

Superintendent Michael Greenwood, Thames Valley Police

Windsor and Maidenhead Local Police Area Commander, Superintendent Michael Greenwood of Thames Valley Police, said: “My thoughts are with the family and friends of the girl who died as a result of this tragic incident.

“We are in the early stages of investigating this incident to understand all the circumstances.

“There was a quick response from all emergency services and after an extensive search of the lake, the 11-year-old girl was located around 5:10 pm and taken to hospital but unfortunately died.

“This was an extremely traumatic and upsetting incident for everyone involved.

“I am aware that several members of the public entered the lake shortly after the girl got into trouble, but were unable to locate her.

“I would like to congratulate them on their courage and bravery.

“My sincere condolences go out to the girl’s family and friends, and I ask that their privacy be respected at this incredibly traumatic and distressing time for them.”

A witness told Sky News the girl was seen underwater and “didn’t come back”, at which point lifeguards rushed in.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and all those affected by this desperately tragic and disturbing incident.

liquid leisure

She was with a group of friends celebrating another girl’s birthday when she disappeared, they said.

Emergency services, including Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service, Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, Surrey Fire and Rescue Service and South Central Ambulance Service, were on site Saturday afternoon.

The girl’s death is being treated as unexplained and an investigation has been launched, Thames Valley Police said.

Although formal identification has not yet taken place, the girl’s family members have been informed and are receiving support from the police.

Liquid Leisure said it would be closed on Sunday.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and all those affected by this desperately tragic and disturbing incident,” said a statement.

“As the Thames Valley Police are in the early stages of an investigation, it would not be right to add further comments, but we will continue to support and assist them throughout the process.”

Their website says: “Liquid Leisure is home to Europe’s largest water park and the first official Ninja Warrior UK water park, situated on one of the most beautiful private freshwater lakes amongst stunning parklands in the heart of Berkshire.”

South Central Ambulance Service and Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue were reached for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.